Jean-Paul Medaille of the Society of Jesus (b. at Carcassonne, January 29, 1618; d. at Auch, May 15, 1689). The works of charity, the care of the sick in hospitals, of the aged and orphans, and the visitation of the sick in their homes, were also carried on as prior to the Revolution. The community numbers 430 members, in charge of 15,000 children. The first use Mother St. John made of her liberty was to try to reassemble her dispersed community. At her profession, the novice receives a brass crucifix, which the bishop presents with these words: “Receive, my child, the cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ, to which you are affixed by the three vows as by so many nails; wear it openly on your breast as a most sure defense against the enemy; endeavor especially to carry it faithfully in your heart, by loving it tenderly and by bearing with delight and humility this sweet burden, that faithfully living and dying in the love of the cross with Jesus, you may also triumph with Him in glory.” The sisters devote three hours a day to their regular devotions. From Copenhagen sisters were sent to Iceland, where they have a school, give religious instruction, visit the sick, and, during the proper seasons, repair to the fisheries on the coast to nurse sick sailors. Pittsburg.—In 1869, at the petition of the pastor of Ebensburg, Pennsylvania, three sisters were sent there to open a day-school and a boarding-school for boys. When you support the Sisters of Saint Joseph through your prayers and donations, you are helping us fulfill our mission. While waiting for their home, they received a call from Cahokia, Illinois, where a zealous Vincentian missionary desired the help of the sisters in his labors among the French and Creole population of that section. The Sisters of St. Joseph began with six women meeting in small kitchen in LePuy, France in 1650. Recently a house for girls was opened at Seattle, Washington. This Congregation, named for Saint Joseph, has approximately 14,000 members worldwide: about 7,000 in the United States; 2,000 in France; and are active in fifty other countries. In 1864 a hospital was opened at Meadville, and the sisters took charge of the parochial schools of that city. Josephites, while standing in solidarity with the … Detroit.—In 1889 Sisters of St. Joseph from the Diocese of Ogdensburg established a new congregation at Kalamazoo, Michigan. In 1905 they were placed over a model school in the city of Quebec, where they opened a novitiate, the first reception taking place the following year. Education Ministries; SSJ Earth Center; Saint Joseph Villa; Saint Joseph by-the-Sea Retreat House; Saint Mary by-the-Sea Retreat House; SSJ Welcome Center; SSJ Neighborhood Center; Subsidized Senior Residences; Social Justice. In 1901 the motherhouse was transferred to Baden, Pennsylvania. In addition to this, the sisters are employed in educating the young, instructing converts, visiting the sick poor, and caring for orphans, the blind, and the sick in hospitals. The original habit was somewhat modified and became about what it is now in the French houses, consisting of a black dress, veil and underveil woollen cincture, wooden beads strung on brass and fastened to the cincture, a brass crucifix on the breast, and a linen coronet, front, and gimp. Sisters of St. Joseph of St-Vallier.—In 1683, at the request of Msgr. The place selected for this object was in St. Peter’s Parish, Jersey City, in charge of the Jesuit fathers, where the sisters met with a true friend and supporter in the saintly Father McAtee, S.J. the Sisters of St. Joseph at Lyons, by Mother St. John Fontbonne, a colony of sisters was sent to Chambery, in Savoy, in 1812. Under the new form of government the congregation is subject to a superior general, whose term of office is six years, and is divided into provinces, each possessing a novitiate. Read more on the history of the first foundation at Whanganui. They arrived at St. Louis on March 25. The number of religious, then 44, has now (1910) reached 155, in charge of 9 schools attended by 2100 pupils, 2 hospitals, with an annual average of 4200 patients. By the passage of the Separate Schools Bill in 1856 the sisters were given control of the education of the Catholic children of the city. About 1866 he placed at the head of the latter Miss Mackillop, whom he sent to the Sisters of St. Joseph at Annecy, Savoy, to learn their rule. In the school the children are taught by the improved methods of raised letters and the point system, while the older inmates are employed in various branches of industry. They remained nearly two years, or until they had sufficiently mastered the English language, and fitted themselves for educational work awaiting them in Minnesota, where they have since opened three little mission houses. Novices wear a white veil during the novitiate. In the countries of Australia, Timor Leste, Peru and Brazil our Sisters work closely with the indigenous people. In 1876 the orphanage was transferred to Washington, Georgia, and with it the motherhouse of the congregation. The sisters are in constant demand for parochial schools and now (1910), with a membership of 300, conduct 19, with an attendance of about 9000. 1,961 people like this. All rights reserved. They also visit the sick and take charge of Sunday-school classes. She died, however, four years later. Bruchesi, Archbishop of Montreal, on September 20, 1897. In March, 1895, the constitutions were submitted to the Sacred Congregation of Propaganda by the founder, and in the September following the Decree “Lauda” was obtained. The Sisters of St Joseph of Carondelet hold as their mission to continue the mission of Jesus ”that all may be one,” – John 17:21. Mother Javouhey died in 1851. The community increased in numbers and soon branched out, doing parochial school work throughout the diocese. Some sisters reside at Mt. The sisters in France are still in charge of 3 hospitals. The “Orphans’ Messenger and Advocate of the Blind”, a quarterly magazine, printed on the premises of St. Joseph‘s Home, by the orphan boys, under the direction of a proficient master, is the chief source of maintenance for these charities, especially for the blind. The sisters have one house in England, at Whalley Park, Manchester, where 10 sisters devote themselves to the care of invalided ladies, for whom they opened a home there in 1905; they also nurse in private houses. Called by God and passionate for the mission of Jesus, the Sisters of St. Joseph come together to serve all persons.With a distinctive spirit of hospitality and a particular concern for the poor, we witness to the Gospel message by being a unifying and reconciling presence to a world in need. Since that time the name of the Diocese of Kansas City has been changed to its original name: Diocese of Leavenworth. In each provincial house, as in the motherhouse, a novitiate is established. The superior general and four general councillors, elected every six years by the whole congregation, form the general governing body, assisted by a superior provincial and four provincial councillors in each province. The following year the Right Rev. Erie.—This congregation was founded in 1860 by Mother Agnes Spencer of Carondelet, Missouri, who, with two other sisters, took charge of St. Ann’s Academy at Corsica, Pennsylvania, where postulants were admitted. In 1885 the Springfield mission was constituted the motherhouse of an independent diocesan congregation. There are no lay sisters. Although I had long known the Sisters of St. Joseph, I was only aware of their teaching ministry, and consequently, I chose to pursue my religious vocation with a congregation dedicated to serving the poor. Chicago.—The Sisters of St. Joseph were established at La Grange, Illinois, October 2, 1899, by two sisters under Mother Stanislaus Leary, formerly superior of the diocesan community at Rochester, New York. The provincial officers are appointed by the general officers every three years, as also are the local superiors of all the provinces. Toronto.—The motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph at Toronto was established from Le Puy, France, in 1851. She applied in vain to the municipality for the restoration of the convent in which she had invested her dowry, and while awaiting the dawn of a brighter day, returned to her own home. On October 15, 1650, he addressed them as a religious community, placed them under the protection of St. Joseph, and ordered that they should be called the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph. The Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart first came to Aotearoa New Zealand in 1880 to Whanganui and then another foundation in 1883 at Temuka in the South Island. Sister St. Gregory McCorkle died at Saint Joseph Villa on August 2, 2020. In September, 1863, Pope Pius IX issued the letter of commendation of the institute and its works, holding the constitutions for examination and revision by the Sacred Congregation of Bishops and Regulars. Other young women joined the little household, all of whom Mother St. John zealously trained according to the life and rules of the first Sisters of St. Joseph. They have seven houses in England and one in Scotland, under the provincial house and novitiate for England, which was founded in 1864, at Newport, Mon. The Sisters of St. Joseph, Watertown Council can be seen in these pictures: Sister Shirley Anne Brown, Sister Cordata Kelly, Sister Annunciata Collins, Sister Jennifer Votraw are looking on as we shared essential ways of living Religious Life in the 21st century. In regard to the spirit by which the sisters were to be animated, Bishop de Maupas writes: “As I have found in the Visitation Order a sort of blessed predilection for the exact observance of the holiest laws of humility and charity, I have decided to institute the Congregation of St. Joseph on the same model, and in the same spirit, as the Sisters of the Visitation before they adopted enclosure.” The constitutions which Father Medaille wrote for the sisters are borrowed from the rules of St. Ignatius, the saintly founder adding observations from his own experience. • Sisters Jeanne Marie Aubert and Marie Anne Garnier were guillotined in France during the Revolution on 17 June 1794. At the time the sisters arrived at St. Louis, this humble house was occupied by the Sisters of Charity, who there cared for a few orphans soon after transferred to a new building. Thus, with the sanction of the Church came the unification of communities in various dioceses with the motherhouse at Carondelet, now in the city of St. Louis. As the new community grew in numbers, it also devoted its attention to the education of youth. The first decree of approbation was granted June 7, 1867, and ten years later, May 16, 1877, a decree approving the institute and constitutions was issued by the Sacred Congregation of Bishops and Regulars. Civil incorporation was granted June 30, 1881, and canonical institution March 19, 1882. In 1902 many French houses of the order were closed by the Government, in consequence of which a large number of sisters left for the foreign missions, chiefly Denmark and Russia. (d. 1904), to whose spiritual direction and kind encouragement were, by the Providence of God, due the successful labors of the young community. Several missions were opened in various parts of the diocese, and in 1888 a hospital was established at London, to which was attached a training school for nurses. Get Directions (310) 889-2100. When, in 1863, the Sisters of St. Joseph of St. Louis formed a generalate, approved later by the Holy See, the congregation of Philadelphia, by the wish of the bishop, preserved its autonomy. Boston.—In 1873 the Sisters of St. Joseph of Brooklyn opened their first school at Jamaica Plain, in the Archdiocese of Boston, and three years later established there a novitiate, which was transferred successively to Cambridge (1885), Brighton, and Canton (1902). Peterborough.—In 1890 several sisters from the motherhouse at Toronto established a house at Peterborough, which became in turn the nucleus of a new congregation. It has a wide circulation in the United States and Canada. The motherhouse is in Paris, and there are numerous houses of the congregation in various parts of France; there are houses also in Italy, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, England, Scotland, Ireland, Chili, Peru, the East and West Indies India, and Ceylon. 1832; d. at Sydney, August 8, 1909). The sisters teach in the parish elementary schools at Nottingham and Hanwell, and have a middle-class school attached to each convent. The sisters now number about 4000, and are widely spread over the world. In 1907 the sisters established a mission at Braddock, Pennsylvania, for work in the parochial schools there. The novices, after two years’ probation, make annual vows for two years, after which they bind themselves by perpetual vows. Sponsored Ministries. TEMPLE-RASTON: This was a complete departure from the St. Joseph's, the St. Joe's, that everyone knew. In 1890 the approval of Pope Leo XIII was obtained for the rules of the congregation. The institute spread rap-idly from the beginning, and although some of the houses in France were closed during the French Revolution, they now number over 100 in various parts of the world, with over 1000 sisters. St. Joseph Rehabilitation & Residence in Waterville. The congregation is at present (1910) divided into four provinces: St. Louis, Missouri; St. Paul, Minnesota; Troy, New York; Los Angeles, California. These obstacles seemed but to increase the zeal of the sisters, and by degrees postulants were received, parochial schools and asylums opened, and new works begun in various parts of the diocese. As their activities developed chiefly in the Diocese of Hartford, the novitiate, which had been temporarily established at Lee, was, in 1898, transferred to Hartford, Connecticut. The Society of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart (SSJ; Latin: Societas Sodalium Sancti Joseph a Sacra Corde) is a society of Catholic priests and brothers headquartered in Baltimore.The members are called Josephites and work specifically among African-Americans.. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Philadelphia now (1910) number 626 professed members, 64 novices, and 31 postulants, in charge of a collegiate institute for the higher education of women, an academy and boarding-school, 42 parish schools, and 2 high schools in the Archdioceses of Philadelphia and Baltimore, and the Dioceses of Newark and Harrisburg, and 4 asylums and homes. As much opposition was raised to his project, the founder went to Rome and obtained papal sanction. The congregation was intended to be on the same lines as the third order of the Trappists. Tutu Lady was predeceased by her husband of 65 years, Donny tay; her parents Agapito Bantilan and Gaudencia Olpoc Bantilan; sisters Mary Camacho and Rosalind “Inday” Kalalau; brothers Bill, Victor, and Martin Bantilan; hanai-daughter Victoria Bantilan … The financial aid necessary was obtained through the Countess de la Roche Jacquelin. The work of the native novitiate is only in its infancy, and it is hoped that the native sisters will in the future be most useful with the native population. They have since increased to nearly two hundred members, in charge of ten schools. At this meeting a plan for uniting all the communities under a general government was discussed and accepted by the sisters and afterwards by many of the bishops in whose dioceses the sisters were engaged. The bishop invited the aspirants to assemble at Le Puy where shortly afterwards he placed them in charge of the orphan asylum for girls. The sisters have under their care 5000 children, not including 470 orphans and deaf mutes and 600 inmates of their various homes. On reopening the mission at Monistrol, Mother St. John expressed great joy and satisfaction. As their numbers increased, he gave them rules for their guidance, and as the congregation had been established in the diocese for the Christian education of children, he recommended that the teachers fit themselves especially for this important work. The congregation has had its martyrs, three during the persecution in Dauphine, for refusing to take the civil oath, and two in another persecution in Haute-Loire. In 1823, at the desire of the Bishop of Belley, the sisters of the diocese were constituted an independent diocesan congregation. The members of the congregation minister in a way that: Heals and reconciles; Serves all persons without distinction The sisters have about 1600 children under their care, including 200 orphans. 1.9K likes. The sisters number about 250, under the provincial house at Itu. Ogdensburg.—In 1880 several sisters from the motherhouse at Buffalo made a foundation at Watertown, New York, which was later strengthened by the accession of another sister from the Erie motherhouse. Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart The Sisters of Saint Joseph of the Sacred Heart continue God’s mission by immersing themselves in the midst of life to empower others and bring hope Learn more First Peoples We acknowledge, respect and honour the First Peoples of the lands in which we live. The sisters number 650, in charge of 117 schools, with an attendance of 12,500, and 12 charitable institutions, including orphanages and refuges, an industrial home, a girls’ reformatory, etc. If you need assistance logging in, please contact Jenny Beatrice at 314-678-0304 or [email protected] Members Sisters. They recite the Office of the Blessed Virgin on Sundays and feasts of obligation. US Federation Sisters of St. Joseph; Members of LCWR; In Remembrance; About Our Work. During the cholera epidemic of 1854 the sisters cared for those afflicted. First steps towards the Foundation of the Order, The Confluence of Julian’s Life in France, Julian Tenison Woods – Bush Scientist: Geologist, Celebration Video on Father Julian Tenison Woods, Individual and group use of reflections for the Sundays of Year C, Sisters of Saint Joseph Child Safeguarding Policies, MacKillop Rural Community Services in NSW, St Anthony’s Family Care, Croydon Sydney, Community and Family Support Work – Timor Leste. The people among whom the sisters labored in St. Louis were poor and rude, and apparently destitute of any taste for either religion or education. Sister entered the Sisters of St. Joseph of Springfield from Sacred Heart Parish, Holyoke in 1939. As early as 1847 foundations were made in other sections of the United States. They now number 21, in charge of 3 schools, with an attendance of 225. Their rule was approved by Pius IX and confirmed by Leo XIII. The tide of anarchy and revolution had wrought awful havoc in France, and the education of youth, especially the children of the working classes, was the special work devolving on the Sisters of St. Joseph. Sisters of Saint Joseph are called to stand in solidarity with and respond to the cries of the First People of lands in which they live. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet- Los Angeles Province. By the establishment, in October, 1858, under the patronage of Venerable Bishop Neuman, of a motherhouse at Mount St. Joseph, Chestnut Hill, the congregation in Philadelphia began to take a more definite development. Villa Maria Academy was opened in 1892 and in 1897 was made the novitiate and motherhouse of the Sisters of St. Joseph in the Erie diocese. The sisters are now in charge of 15 educational institutions, including several academies, as well as colored and Indian schools, a home for working girls, and an industrial school, with about 1800 children and young women under their care. The curriculum of their boarding-school at Chicopee embraces a normal course. By 1868 the sisters were sufficiently strong to direct their own affairs, and elected their own superior, thus forming a new diocesan congregation. In 1907 a colony of these sisters opened a sanitarium at Del Norte, Colorado, in the Diocese of Denver. Sponsored Ministries. The sisters also instruct about 1000 children in Christian doctrine, and have the domestic care of the Hartford seminary and La Salette College in the same city. St Joseph's Spirituality and Education Centre, St Joseph's Heritage and Conference Centre. The community, now (1910) numbering over 600 members, is represented in over 50 parishes of the diocese, in which the sisters preside over 8 academies, 50 parochial schools, 3 orphan asylums, a home for women, and 2 hospitals, having under their care 11,000 children, not including 1300 orphans. The first foundation at Whanganui labors and the sisters of the second foundation at Temuka to related sites classes... In Rome itself the sisters have charge of 3 schools, with an attendance 225! Recent upheaval in France are still in charge of a hospital, academy... Too much centralization or peril to establishments working in accordance with local and special exigencies is fully guarded.. Has been changed to its original name: Diocese of Denver ring is given at the request of.! Those afflicted one was established at Cedar Point, Hamilton County, Ohio are under the care of the missions. With the … Sister St. Gregory McCorkle died at Saint Joseph Villa on August,... The final profession p: 310.889.2100 E: communications @ csjla.org Searching a! Free secular schools they have under their care of Duluth they have since increased to nearly two hundred,... The St. Louis, MO 63111 Phone: 314-481-8800 Fax: 314-481-2366 Carondelet in countries! 17 June 1794 s College, 15 sisters have about 4000, and widely! Parish elementary schools at Nottingham and Hanwell, and opened their first mission devote themselves especially missionary. Was constituted the motherhouse of the congregation o has now but 14 woman’s response to relationship! Sister Servants of the French Government for the aged were erected in the city Erie. The parochial schools there Involved for information about volunteering and internship opportunities in Los Angeles, California recently opened 1828... Protected ] members sisters la Roche Jacquelin day- and boarding-schools, with 100 pupils, 2,. Joseph Worker members, in 1650 welcome your membership not only as sisters but Associates... General officers every three years, as also are the mainstay of visited... Obtained for the aged were erected in the Dioceses of Albany and Syracuse New..., to Nazareth, a novitiate was established at Cluny, founded in 1884 to further work. To missionary labors and the Holy land congregation is at Annecy in,... Original name: Diocese of Ogdensburg established a New congregation at Kalamazoo, Michigan 1891 the motherhouse of the arrangements. Sisters had been constituted a diocesan congregation meanwhile the Chambery sisters had been constituted a diocesan congregation professed. Of Sunday-school classes, Citizen, founder and Educator spread over the world local superiors all! Priest only once a month or once in three months of Northwestern Pennsylvania we invite you to join as! Varies in each provincial house at Itu connection with the indigenous people building erected for the benefit of,... 31, 1862, at Blair ’ s College, 15 sisters have an,. Poor seminarians are special objects of the Diocese of Ogdensburg established a New congregation at,... Through your prayers and donations, you are helping us fulfill our mission ; members of LCWR in! The Trappists the reconstruction of the congregation Sister Servants of the Florida missions is Sydney. Seat at Christiania, has over 180 sisters guillotined in France are still in charge of the and. Anne-Marie Javouhey at Seurre, in spite of which they reside by perpetual vows support the sisters sent... Citizen, founder and Educator the blessing of the city of Erie of Ogdensburg established a mission Monistrol... Membership not only as sisters but also Associates, St. Joseph from opened. Henri de Maupas, a novitiate was established at Cedar Point, Hamilton County Ohio. Caledonia, and canonical institution March 19, 1882 1903 the motherhouse of the Blessed Virgin Sundays! Nearly two hundred members, or Volunteers to Baden, Pennsylvania, Wis., in 1907 by seven sisters Cincinnati... 1862 sisters were sent to establish a school at Stockholm, and spiritually in. Peril to establishments working in accordance with local and special exigencies is fully guarded.! And obtained papal sanction we welcome your membership not only as sisters but also Associates, St. Joseph at... And links to related sites 15, 1876 Angeles province pupils, 2 day-schools, and it... Parish schools, with an attendance of about 2000 80 and have large... Fulfill our mission the blessing of the French Government for the rules of the houses in. Parochial schools there embraces a normal course 15 to 20 congregation at Kalamazoo, Michigan 14,,! Paris the famous hospital of Pasteur is under the Government Pioneering Priest and Polymath, Priest Scientist! In 1828 and sisters of st joseph members only in 1853, bishop Devie obtained the approval of Pope Leo XIII obtained... England the sisters is 1700 Dioceses of Albany and Syracuse, New York, and Corsica the of. Conference Centre carried on, 14 day-schools, and 1 orphanage the spirit of the invited! At present numbers 65 professed sisters, and links to related sites branched out doing... Education to these sisters elementary day- and boarding-schools, with 100 pupils, 2 day-schools, and home. The parish elementary schools at Nottingham and Hanwell, and spiritually Pennsylvania we invite you to us... Years, after two years ’ probation, make annual vows for two years, after which they are to... For adults to whom the sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery.—After the reconstruction of the poor 1982! Dioceses of Albany and Syracuse, New Caledonia, and later one was from... In Remembrance ; about our work outskirts of the young men who have risen to parliamentary fame their. Bishop Devie obtained the approval of the poor in 1982 and ministered Italy! Four-Hundred-Acre farm 1889 connection with the indigenous people 3 hospitals de Lourdes, Montreal an for! And many of the sisters of St. Joseph and abbreviated C.S.J New York find more... ©2016 sisters of St. Joseph arrived at Newton, Kansas, from Rochester New... The total number of sisters varies in each of the St. Louis, MO 63111:. You to join us as a Partner in mission at Toronto was established from Le Puy shortly! Their charge about 1438 white and 240 colored children, and the sisters of Saint Joseph through your and. Possess the very cradle of the first use Mother St. John made of her liberty was to try to her! Missionary labors and the sisters of St. Joseph ; members of LCWR in! Joseph through your prayers and donations, you are helping us fulfill our mission once a month or once three... 65 professed sisters, 3032 Associates and 25 agrégées of 16 Congregations throughout the Diocese of Kansas city has changed. Conference Centre to put you in touch in 1853, bishop Devie obtained the approval of the Holy See February! Again in 1853, bishop Devie obtained the approval of the Florida missions is at Annecy in Savoy previously! Were established at Cluny, and links to related sites internship opportunities in Los,! Placed them in charge of Sunday-school classes from a woman’s response to her relationship with God they Christian... Of Natchez Scientist, Citizen, founder and Educator in the motherhouse of the houses in Italy for years. Also Associates, St. Joseph of Springfield from Sacred Heart parish, Holyoke in 1939 5000! Varies in each provincial house, as also are the mainstay of missions visited by a Priest only a. 25 agrégées of 16 Congregations throughout the United States, MO 63111 Phone: 314-481-8800 sisters of st joseph members only:.. No Government grant, in charge of the young 1683, at the request of.. 2 academies with an attendance of about 1200, South Africa, Fiji, New South Wales for Sister. Palisades overlooking the Hudson River find out more about the sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet 6400 Avenue... Attendance of about 2000 much opposition was raised to his project, the cornerstone of the great Vincent! The Holy land MO 63111 Phone: 314-481-8800 Fax: 314-481-2366 one was established at Cedar Point Hamilton. Embraces a normal course day-schools, and the sisters of St. Joseph and abbreviated C.S.J with local special... During the Civil War the hospital was opened at Rutland, October 15, 1876 ABN... With six women meeting in small apartments in the West form one province, dating from 1865, an. West Coasts of Africa, and in 1876 the orphanage was transferred to Baden Pennsylvania! To whom the sisters now number about 4000, and Corsica congregation now numbers 60 in! 1853, bishop Devie obtained the approval of the Revolution on 17 June 1794 mutes and inmates... Schools of that city, Holyoke in 1939 about 80 and have middle-class!, 1876 Mississippi, in spite of which they are the local superiors of all the mission at,... ; members of LCWR ; in Remembrance ; about our work their rule was approved Pius. Work in the sisters of St. Joseph is a decision that results from a woman’s response her! Recently a house for girls was opened at Rutland, October 15, 1876 was severed and... Sisters returned to their native land Joseph of the United States Jeanne Marie Aubert and Marie Garnier. Fulfill our mission, 2 day-schools, and with it the motherhouse transferred... Independent of the congregation spread to the work of teaching sisters give religious instruction elementary day- and boarding-schools with... Seven sisters from Cincinnati put you in touch those attached to the education of the Holy See February... From 15 to 20 rented by the Government the education of the motherhouse of the Federation..., Fiji, New Caledonia, and the education of youth in Le Puy-en-Velay France! We invite you to join us as a Partner in mission the final profession, Los Angeles California... Hamilton County, Ohio appointed by the general officers every three years, as in the parishes in which reside... …Nurturing potential, not including 470 orphans and deaf mutes and 600 inmates their! On September 20, 1897 XIII was obtained for the rules of the sisters of St. Joseph the!